Helpful safety tips for new homeowners in Columbus
If you purchased your first home or you’re approaching the date of closing, congratulations! It’s an exciting time for you and your family. You might be pondering the ways you can personalize your residence with paint, furnishings, and decor. But, before you go all-in on redecorating, make sure you examine home security as well. Keeping your loved ones safeguarded should always be a foremost priority, and we’ll show you how with the following safety tips for new homeowners in Columbus.
Perform a safety audit of your new Columbus property
Now that safety is at the forefront, discover what your new home already has. To begin, make certain you have functioning smoke detectors. Test all of them and switch out batteries if necessary. Are there CO detectors? Do you need a water sensor downstairs? This is also a smart time to replace door locks and inspect all locks on windows. Go through each room and get to know your property.
Smart security tips for your Columbus home
Once you’ve finished your preliminary check of locks and safety alarms, you should look into elevating your property’s safety. Get started with these security tips for your home in Columbus.
- Opt for a modern home security system. One of the smartest tools for new homeowners in Columbus is a home security system. Today’s wireless technology lets you keep tabs on your property even when you’re not there. You can review up-to-the-second video footage, control door locks, and even speak with people on your front steps directly from your smartphone. You may customize with incredible security features such as video surveillance and monitored safety alarms.
- Modernize your outdoor lights. Outdoor lights with motion sensors are a great solution in deterring prospective burglars. You can even use them in conjunction with surveillance cameras. When a motion detector is tripped, it can signal your video equipment to start recording.
- Keep your premises nicely groomed. Are you able to see all of your property from the interior? Are there overgrown trees and bushes impeeding your view? Remove possible spots to hide by keeping your yard neat and tidy. Your neighbors will be grateful for it too.
- Get to know folks in your area. One more thing about your neighbors, get familiar with them. If you are friends with people close to you, they’ll be more likely to advise you if they detect suspicious activity. You may also join your neighborhood’s social media group if one is established.
- Utilize home automation. If you install a modern smart home, you can make it appear like you’re home by turning on smart light bulbs at scheduled moments. This is a fantastic tool when you’re at work or on vacation.